Roger A. Shepherd: Old guy, connecting the dots of a long, deep background

Started out mentored by Werner Rheinboldt in U of Md's IFDAM (Institute for Fluid Dynamics and Applied Mathematics) circa 1970 reading papers on graphs, combinatorics, and algorithms like "Paths, Trees, and Flowers." Ended up chasing the newest shiny objects that were going to teach computers to solve all the problems of Intelligence, Surveillance, and Conflict Resolution. I've been retired for 7 years -- surely all those problems are settled issues by now?

I'm tickled by the opportunity to have a community and graph-aware platforms to collaborate with knowledgeable people and knowledge bases.

General bias against AI (It's been in the over-hyped category since LISP was a pup.)
AI can do absolutely anything/everything --- but not without context!
Graphs are the central, natural tool for providing context.
Connect the dots!

1 Like

"AI can do absolutely anything/everything - but not without context. Graphs are the central, natural tool for providing context"

I really like that quote.

I'm in the Conflict Resolution field and I can confidently say that, yep, AI solved all of the conflicts. :wink:

I'm interested in using graphs to analyze conflict but I haven't gotten deep into the Conflict Resolution AI literature. Do you have anything interesting you think is worth reading?