Neo4j and Java Distribution

Hello!

When I installed Neo4j Desktop in the distribution some Java stuff were load and there is 2 folders 'zulu8.48.0.53-ca-jdk8.0.265' and 'zulu11.41.23-ca-jdk11.0.8' both related to Java.

Independently of Neo4j, I installed a new version of Java JDK: version "1.8.0_291"

=> Question: Is it possible to remove the Neo4j-Java Distribution?
Will Neo4j will still operate correctly?

Thanks for the attention your feedback will be appreciated.

Cordially,
Alexandre D.

Hi @axd ,

At the moment Desktop relies on the packaged JVMs for operating the Neo4j DBMS. Recent versions of Neo4j DBMS require JDK 11+. The older JDK8 is there to support older Neo4j DBMS versions while they are still under long-term support.

For manually installing and running Neo4j outside of Desktop, you can see requirements here System requirements - Operations Manual

Best,
ABK

Hello Andreas,

Many thanks for your feedback.

I am not familiar with Java ecosystem: should I understand that I need to keep the NEO4j JVM (my Neo4j is a recent version) whereas the recent JDK downloaded from Oracle is not linked (disconnected) to Neo4 database and should be considered as an independent package?

Thanks for your attention, your feedback is appreciated.

Cordially,
Alexandre

I

Hello Alexandre,

Yes, that's correct. The JVMs installed by Neo4j Desktop are required to run the Neo4j DBMS. Those JVMs are isolated from any system or user installed JVM. Both can be present on your computer without interference.

If you do experience any problems, please let us know.

Best,
ABK

Hello Andreas,

Many thanks for your quick response.

Everything is crystal clear now.

Excellent week-end.

Cordially,
Alexandre

1 Like