Looking for paid help migrating from 3.5.14 to 4.x.x

Hello, Neo4j gurus.

I'm looking for someone capable of helping me migrating our Neo4j Community Edition 3.5.14 to the newest 4.x.x version.

I've been trying to migrate myself following different paths to no avail. You can find out more about my previous failed attempts in the following threads:

I've tried the approach recommended on Neo4j website (Migrating from Neo4j 3.5 to 4.0), tried using APOC to fully export/import the contents of the database (which by now is ~50GB) and was always running into issues one way or another.

I need professional help and am willing to pay your invoice.

For your reference: the instance is running on an AWS EC2 instance / Ubuntu 18.04. I'm trying to migrate from one EC2 to another one.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Malik

1 Like

Hi Malik,
I can have a try if you like.
I would need ssh shell access to both the old and new EC2 instance.
Best regards
Paul

Hi Malik, Checking in to see if you successfully completed the migration? If yes, I think the community would be interested in hearing the migration challenges encountered and the solutions. If still working on it, a ping back here would let community know if you are still looking for help. Regards, Joel

We managed to upgrade it without too many issues using my special recipe.
Still need to do a write up on that, after my holiday which starts today ;-)

Paul, have you written this up? :) would be handy to know how you circumvented it. My workaround ended up eliminating my symlinks... but I really wish I could keep them.

Hey Paul @webtic ... Is your writeup ready yet? :smiley:

I am having same issue. Trying to migrate from 3.5.22 to 4.0.2 enterprise.

Nope, I completely forgot about writing that write-up.
Perhaps I can use your instance to refresh my memory and make sense of my notes?
Let me know.
Paul

Thanks Paul @webtic .

Please take this instance as opportunity, I am blocked due to this issue.

1 Like

Hi Kiran, was quite busy for some time.
Will have some time next week though.
Can you mail me at paul.jongsma@gmail.com with more details on the dataset?
Things like total size of database, number of nodes & relations and especially the current server setup. Is it hosted in the cloud? Can it be accessed remotely?

Hello all,

I have managed to migrate my team databases from 3.5.2 to 4.1.1 let me know the type of issues you are facing and I would try to help

Hi Raghad,

I am having trouble migrating Enterprise 3.5.30 graph.dump file into Enterprise 4.1.11. I will not use Desktop. Enterprise 3.5.30 works as expected and I can see my data in the Neo4j Browser. Having created a graph3530.dump file, here is the latest set of cmds I've used...

C:\neo4j-ent-4111>bin\neo4j-admin load --from=import/graph3530.dump --database=graphdb
Done: 178 files, 369.0MiB processed.

C:\neo4j-ent-4111>bin\neo4j-admin copy --from-database=graphdb --to-database=bar
Failure when checking for recovery state: '%s'.Error reading transaction logs, recovery not possible. To force the database to start anyway, you can specify 'unsupported.dbms.tx_log.fail_on_corrupted_log_files=false'. This will try to recover as much as possible and then truncate the corrupt part of the transaction log. Doing this means your database integrity might be compromised, please consider restoring from a consistent backup instead.

[**yes I uncommented upgrade and added the unsupported bit to my neo4j.conf file**]

C:\neo4j-ent-4111>bin\neo4j start
Neo4j service started

[**when I go to Neo4j Browser and Create Database bar, now there are files in this database bar, but it's just a blank slate, it has none of my data this bar database is 3KB**]

C:\neo4j-ent-4111>bin\neo4j stop
Neo4j service stopped

C:\neo4j-ent-4111>bin\neo4j-admin dump --database=bar --to=backups/bar.dump
Done: 67 files, 800.7KiB processed.

again the bar.dump database ends up being 3kb and contains none of my data.
It seems the issue is around the cmd> copy? all it does is create a blank directory called bar