Initialization Error - Unable to open Neo4j Desktop

I keep getting this error all the time. Uninstalled and installed Neo4j 7-8 times already. Tired of this. Very disappointing experience for someone who wants to build POC for their teams.

Hi Anish,

Thanks for the detailed error message.

When you re-install Neo4j, it doesn't delete the "data" directory, which contains things like the apps and projects and databases. This explains why uninstalling hasn't helped this.

Looking at that error message, the folder for your Neo4j Desktop data is at:

C:\Users\agrandhi\.Neo4jDesktop

You can move that folder to a different directory (like Old-Neo4jDesktop) and run Desktop again and it'll be working from a clean install.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
-Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I have done that. I still get the error. I have deleted the Neo4j folder within C:\Users\agrandhi\AppData\Roaming too. The re-install still gives me the same error.

Thanks,
Anish

Hi Anish,

Do you have a proxy server required to be used on your network? I'm wondering if the 'browser' download is actually just saving a copy of some proxy server login page or something.

Can you look at the file neo4j-browser.tar.gz.tmp in a text editor and see what the content is?

If you do need a proxy, take a look here (in the settings):

Cheers,
-Ryan

Hey Ryan,

Update - downloaded a fresh copy of Neo4j desktop and installed it without uninstalling existing Neo4j on laptop. It worked for some reason. Not sure what happened there.

Starting a remote graph threw an error - Error: missing server' JVM atC:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_181\bin\server\jvm.dll'. Please install or use the JRE or JDK that contains these missing components.

I googled the error and fixed it. Neo4j seems to be working fine now. Thanks for your help.

Thanks,
Anish

I'm glad it's working now, though wish we knew more about what happened!

Cheers,
-Ryan

I'm glad it's working now, though wish we knew more about what happened!

Cheers,
-Ryan