Error after installing neo4j desktop

Hi all.

First of all let me say that I am new to neo4j but I have been having a problem trying to install the desktop version.


  • When initializing neo4j desktop for the first time, an error happens on "Preparing Application" stage. There error is "Database failed to create: Error: Could not change password". I know this is a common mistake but the situation is not the same.
  • Restarting neo4j manages to go to the application itself, without any database or example project opened (I know there should be one since I installed it in another computer and it was there).
  • If i try to create a database (local graph), after around 1 minute the process fails with the same error as before "Database failed to create: Error: Could not change password". On the developer tools, the error says:
    • Error: Could not change password at C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\Neo4j Desktop\resources\app.asar\dist\ at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\Neo4j Desktop\resources\app.asar\dist\ at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:208:15) at ChildProcess.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:476:20) at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:272:12)
  • I have tried installing and uninstalling it a couple of times without success.
  • I tried creating databases of versions 4.0.4, 4.0.6 and 4.1.0, all with the same results.


  • Windows 10
  • Neo4j Desktop 1.2.9

Thank you.

can you share neo4j.log file.

Sure, I uploaded it here


@dominicvivek06 - I am having exactly the same issue here. Did this get resolved and what is the solution.

Same problem. Unfortunately I don't see much response from the developers here.

I will try another route and post back here if I get any joy

I think the problem was my antivirus. I have MCafee run by my IT admin and the neo4j processes went into quarantine as soon as I started it, and were eventually disallowed. However, even after adding it to the exclusions list neo4j did not start properly. My guess is that the antivirus was still temporarily blocking it, and only after a couple of minutes it was allowed. Perhaps the neo4j needed it right away