Connection failed. Could not connect

My System:
Windows 7
Neo4j Desktop 1.2.1
Neo4j Browser version: 3.2.20

My Problem:
I installed Neo4j Desktop, it worked. I ran :play movie graph. I loaded the Movie Graph database and experimented for a while then I deleted the project.

Now when I try to open the Neo4j Browser, I can't connect. When I first try to open the Neo4j Browser, I get the message:

The connection credentials provided could not be used to connect.
Do you have an active graph?
Execute :server connect to manually enter credentials if you have an active graph but the provided credentials were wrong.

This message asks if I have an active graph. In the Projects pane, it says there is no active database. How can I have an active database if I'm not connected to the server?

When I run :server connect I get a pre-populated login form.
Connect URL: bolt://localhost:7687
Username: neo4j
I enter my password and click the Connect button. Then I get the following message:

ServiceUnavailable: WebSocket connection failure. Due to security constraints...

When I try to run :play movie graph again, I get the CREATE... code. I run the code and get the following message:

BoltConnectionError: No connection found, did you connect to Neo4j?

What I Have Tried:

• I have uninstalled Neo4j Desktop and reinstalled. I figured a fresh install would fix any problem I caused. Apparently, not everything was uninstalled because I was not prompted to enter a password on subsequent installations.

• I reinstalled without uninstalling.

I have seen several suggestions that refer to files such as

• (neo4j folder)\data\graph.db
  • $NEO4J_HOME/conf/neo4j.conf

I have searched my computer, and I do not find graph.db nor neo4j.conf.

How can I fix this connection problem?

Hello,

In Neo4j Desktop a database (graph) must be created in a project. Since you deleted the project, you have no database. Now a project can have multiple graphs, but only one database can be running at a time. For Neo4j Browser to connect, you must:

1. Create a project.
  2. Create a graph in the project and give it a password that is different from neo4j.
  3. Start the graph.

Then you can start Neo4j Browser for the project and connect to the database. You typically do not have to provide the password that you entered when you created the graph, but it might ask you for a password if a different port is used for the connection.

I hope this helps.

Elaine

1 Like

Elaine,

Thank you for your help. This solved my problem.

Ran

Dear Elaine,

I am new in Neo4j. Currently, I want to explore the graph algorithm in Neo4j. But I was stuck the beginning part (Connecting to server)...

I think I have a similar problem with ranbohannon. But I am not delete the project. I just can not connect to Neo4j server due to to the launching NEuler -The graph Data Science Playground. I don't know the password needed.

hope you may help me to solve this problem. TQ