Can't start Neo4j Desktop on Debian 8

I'm trying to install Neo4j Desktop on Debian 8.

I have followed the instructions here:

I have downloaded the file and made it executable.

When I run the file from the command line, though, I get the following messages:

$ ./neo4j-desktop-offline-1.2.3-x86_64.AppImage
/tmp/.mount_neo4j-jm64dD/neo4j-desktop: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by /tmp/.mount_neo4j-jm64dD/neo4j-desktop)
/tmp/.mount_neo4j-jm64dD/neo4j-desktop: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by /tmp/.mount_neo4j-jm64dD/neo4j-desktop)
A JavaScript error occurred in the main process
Uncaught Exception:
Error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by /tmp/.org.chromium.Chromium.1RezkL)
at process.module.(anonymous function) [as dlopen] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:160:31)
at Object.Module._extensions..node (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:722:18)
at Object.module.(anonymous function) [as .node] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:169:18)
at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:602:32)
at tryModuleLoad (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:541:12)
at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:533:3)
at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:640:17)
at require (internal/modules/cjs/helpers.js:20:18)
at bindings (/tmp/.mount_neo4j-jm64dD/resources/app.asar/node_modules/platform-folders/node_modules/bindings/bindings.js:112:48)
at Object. (/tmp/.mount_neo4j-jm64dD/resources/app.asar/node_modules/platform-folders/src/index.js:3:34)
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 86: unknown element "blank"

Then nothing happens. No window appears. I can quit it by hitting Ctrl-C, but that's it.

I have followed advice from StackOverflow for dealing with the message "Error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found", but it didn't help.

I have looked in my hard drive, and I don't seem to have that file in that directory.

I'd appreciate any help. I'd like to get started with Neo4j, but I'm not even able to get it to run!

What version of GCC do you have?

CXXABI_1.3.9 requires GCC 5 or higher.

Elaine