Building a desktop app using Neo4j

Hello !

Very junior dev here, I'm coming from scripting for CG Animation softwares, so I'm not a proper programmer.

I'm finishing to read about Neo4j, reading all the "Get Started" I can find, now I'm reaching the point where I need to start building the app (Python, Qt). It's a very simple app for adding users and task, but certainely complex enough for me right now.

My question is: is there a pattern for building App connected to remote (DigitalOcean) database ? I don't even know if I should keep a session open for the whole GUI runthime, or reopen a session at every request... In other word, I don't know how to start and I don't want to take bad habbits. So is there some tutorials/examples about how to build a desktop app interacting with Neo4j ?

Thanks anyway for the clarity of the whole documentation on neo4j.com, and sorry if the question has already been asked, maybe I've searched with the wrong keywords.

My colleague Irfan and I built the Neuler Neo4j Graph App that works against a local database (but you can apply the approach to a database hosted anywhere).

You can see our database connection here - neuler/neoStore.js at master · neo4j-devtools/neuler · GitHub

tl;dr

• Create the driver once and keep that around until the app is closed
  • Open a new session for every request to the database
1 Like

I see. Thanks, that's really helpful!