After import; Proj in Desktop shows zero nodes & rel; but browser shows something

I must be missing something simple... Sorry for such a newbie question.

I've been able to import data, building nodes and relationships, make all sorts of queries, look at the graphs, etc. in the Community edition of Neo4j Browser in my DB "poc", but when I look at the same database in the Desktop (Version 1.3.10 (, I see zero nodes and zero relationships instead of 839 Nodes and 1513 Relationships that I can see in the Browser. The DB is stored locally on my machine. Version 4.1.3

When I try to bring this up in Neo4J Bloom, I also get zero nodes and zero relationships, which is what I really want to experiment with. What am I doing wrong?

So far, I've been able to figure out pretty much everything else on my own (thanks to the great documentation and tutorials), but this one has me stumped.

Image of my Neo4J Desktop and Browser

Hi @clem,

Neo4j Desktop's display of node and relationships counts has a synchronization issue. The problem has been reported and will get addressed.


Is there a way to force synchronization?

I've tried:

  • stopping and restarting the DB
  • quitting the app and restarting
  • rebooting my Mac

The reason I ask, is I'm eager to try out Neo4J Bloom which also shows no nodes and relationships. (I want to show my boss, and I think that will impress him.)


Hi Clem,

Another difference could be that Desktop only shows counts of the default database. When using "Add database" in Desktop that is still creating an entirely new, isolated DBMS. The DBMS itself can then contain multiple databases, but at the moment Desktop only shows the default database named "neo4j".

The discrepancy in Bloom could be similar. When starting Bloom, there's a dropdown to select which database to show. By default that is also "neo4j". Be sure to pick a different database.


  • Neo4j DBMS 4.x is multi-database
  • Neo4j Bloom and Neo4j Browser both support multi-database, allowing you to select which one to use
  • Neo4j Desktop manages entire DBMSes, not yet revealing multiple databases within a DBMS

Hope that helps!


I don't think that's my problem.

  1. I launch Neo4J Desktop
  2. I start my poc DB which shows 0 nodes and 0 relationships
  3. I click on Open to open the browser
  4. I do :use poc
  5. I do match(n)return (n) limit 10
    and I get back nodes and relationships

No. I don’t that that’s it. The desktop clearly shows my POC DB is running and no nodes or relationships.

Could it be, because I have just the community version?

I’d really like to get this to work, as my boss is excited by the possibilities. If I can get this to work, we’d upgrade to the enterprise version.


You may have both a DBMS named "POC" and a database named "poc".

Neo4j Browser does not yet know about DBMS names. Browser connects to the currently running DBMS. By executing :use poc within Browser you are changing the current database within the running DBMS.

The DBMS names only appear within the main window of Neo4j Desktop.

  • Browser only shows databases within a DBMS, but is unaware of the DBMS name
  • Desktop only shows DBMS names, but not the databases

It sounds like your database named "poc" is working correctly. It's just that Neo4j Desktop only shows nodes + relationships about the database named "neo4j".


I guess I'm missing something. I have two DB's poc and experiment. The desktop shows no nodes, relationships, and labels for both.

I found out what is confusing me. (I'm actually still a bit confused.)

I have two databases, poc and experiment within the Project "Project". Inside "Project" is the poc database are the databases neo4j (default) and poc databases. (The term database is being overused or maybe I misnamed things.). The Project view is showing the contents of the default database (neo4J) which is zero.

When I start Bloom, it defaults to the neo4J database. I need to switch to my poc database.

Neo4J shows up too many times too, which is confusing because there is a project called Neo4J, as well as a Database and the default Database within the Database.

To make things clearer, the Neo4J project should get the name "Neo4J Project" or some such thing.